Grower’s Note Hydroponics on Budget
Post Page Rank
It’s not easy to build all hydroponic systems at home with a small budget. An ideal hydroponics system should be able to easily transport water in your hydroponics garden. The cheapest and easiest hydroponics system is known as flooding system or also referred as the bucket system. All you need is a bucket, dishpan and a tube to build this most inexpensive hydroponics system. Ideal growing medium for flooding system would be perlite or gravel.
Simple steps to prepare a hydroponics system within your budget:
- Take a plastic container, preferably a dishpan, which has low sides and is 3 to 4 inches tall. Clean the container thoroughly.
- Now take a bucket that has capacity to hold 3 gallons of water. Remember, the bucket you select should be plastic so that you can easily cut it to make a hole.
- Use a plastic tube that is 3 to 4 feet long and 1/2 to 1 inch wide.
- Make a hole in the container as well as the bucket. The hole in the container should be on the shorter side with size suitable to insert the plastic tube. The hole should be 1/2 to 1 inch above the bottom of the container. Cut the hole of same size, i.e. of tube, in the side of the bucket that’s 1 to 2 inches above the bottom of the bucket.
- Now insert one end of the tube into the bucket and another end into the plastic container. To protect your system from any leakage, seal both the ends with aquarium cement.
- Place the container on a tabletop and fill it with perlite or any other suitable growing medium. And, place bucket next to the container table but on surface higher than the container table.
- Plant some seedlings and add some nutrient-enriched water solution into the plastic container to properly moisten the growing medium.
- Now lower the bucket and allow easy drainage of water from the container. This will help you to analyze the adequate amount of water you will need to avoid the problem of overwatering or under watering.
- After all the water is drained wait for 2 to 3 hours. Then again place the bucket higher than the container to drain all the water into the plastic container. Repeat the whole procedure of draining the water into the bucket in hydroponic system.
- Depending on the needs and quality of your growing medium raise and lower your bucket. Add more nutrient solution to the bucket every week and clean the water fully once a month for better results.
Read this one interesting article Hi-Rise Apartment Buildings as Hydroponics Gardens?